Chris and Drew are joined by Anthony this week for a special episode about one of the most popular Hobby board games of all time – Catan. We’ll be discussing 9 games that are a perfect next step for gamers and newcomers to the hobby that want something more, but don’t want to stray too far from the core mechanics that they love so much about Catan. We’re also discussing three hot new games, Diamonds, Aquasphere and Revolution: Anarchy.
Shout it from the Tabletop
Board Gamers Anonymous is on Patreon! This week we launched our very own Patreon campaign and you can donate now by clicking here or on the button below. If you think this episode is worth at least $1, please donate and help us make the show even better. And of course, Drew has a boat load of interesting stories and news items to share in this week’s Shout it from the Tabletop segment.
Acquisition Disorder Corner
This week’s acquisition disorder list is as long as ever so the guys did some heavy culling and picked out a handful of games they really want to get their hands on, including the next expansion for Suburbia, Suburbia 5*, Discoveries, and Orleans.
At the Table
The guys get three games to the table this week including Chris’s first play through of Aquasphere, a surprisingly (almost) thematic programming game from Stefan Feld, Diamonds – the only trick taking game Anthony’s ever truly loved, and the newest expansion for Revolution!, Anarchy.
If You Like Catan, Try…
For 20 years, Catan has been the standard bearer of the hobby gaming industry. It’s the one that started the current run of beautiful, complex games, and it’s still the top seller around. So we wanted to share 9 games we feel you should try if you like Catan. These games are the next step in specific mechanics, including hex-based area control, city building action, and dice-based mechanics.
Final Round: Press Your Luck Games!
Last but not least this week, the guys talk about a handful of their favorite press your luck games, including Formula D, Can’t Stop, and Roll through the Ages.
Listen to Episode 54
- 09:21 – Shout it from the Tabletop!
- 20:02 – Acquisition Disorder Corner
- 29:39 – At the Table: Diamonds
- 37:21 – At the Table: Revolution – Anarchy
- 42:34 – At the Table: Aquasphere
- 51:53 – Feature: If You Like Catan, Try…
- 1:19:16 – Final Round: Press Your Luck Games!
Links from Shout it From the Tabletop!
- Tigris & Euphrates—Announcing the Return of a Classic Game
First in FFG’s new “Euro Classics” line
- Pandemic Legacy will debut at Essen, August 10, 2015
NOTE: This is for “Season 1” which means there will be further modules
- El Grande Big Box – 999, a Dutch company
NOTE: Hans im Gluck and Z-Man Games both had plans to release it, but nothing came of it.
- Get a glimpse inside Dungeons & Drafts medieval tavern
Ft. Collins, Colorado – opening in April
- The Worst Board Games Ever Invented
This is the 2nd analysis of BGG rankings done by Nate Silver’s stathead team
- Pick the best board game to play in any situation with this flowchart
Created by person(s) unknown, for Silver Oak Casino
- Taking candy from a baby:
Welsh hospital forced to chain toys to cots with bicycle locks after thieves target children’s wards
NOTE: The Spiel Foundation works to provide board games to children’s hospitals throughout the USA
- Vietnam War game designer donates royalties to VVA 227
- Green Bay’s board game obsession
Other Items Not Covered on the Show
- What board games can teach business (Harvard Business Review)
- After-dinner party games to brighten up the January gloom
- Shropshire granddad pitches in to tackle rugby board game