This week we’re looking at Essen and all the games (seriously, so many games) that we’re interested in picking up as soon as they make it stateside. Check out our list of wanted games in this week’s feature, plus overflow in our regular acquisition disorder corner segment. Additionally, Anthony is talking quick fun games, Chris got Samurai to the table, and the guys talk about unfair moments in gaming.
Shout it From the Tabletop
This week, we had a lot to choose from (and you can see it all on our Twitter feed here each day), with Drew bringing the following topics to the table:
- Canada’s premier board game café, Snakes & Lattes, moves to bigger, better digs.
- Wizards of the Coast & Cryptozoic settled suit over M:tG clone “Hex: Shards of Fate”
- GeekDad shows the rest of us how to get into buying & selling Magic cards. Part of a series which follows the author, Rory Bristol, as he teaches his stepson Magic: The Gathering
- Video games lose the split-screen in order to create ‘social’ gamers, who turn anti-social
- Korean messaging app plans to add online board games that allow gambling between opponents
- Kickstarter reorganizes to prove its mission is about more than just making money
- Minnesota High School creates live version of “Hungry, Hungry Humans”. Try this at your school!
Make sure to check back each day on Twitter for more news from the world of gaming.
Acquisition Disorder Corner
This week, there are just too many games we want to see hit the table. Anthony starts us off with the newest expansion for Power Grid, The Stock Companies – bringing some of Friedman Friese’s 504 love to the classic power company game. Chris talks about an expansion reimaginging another favorite, The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire, and Daniel discusses a Kickstarter project he wants to get his hands on in Argo.
At the Table
Anthony had a chance to play one of the hottest new party games around this week (and he actually liked it!) in Vlaada Chvatil’s Codenames, plus he got in a play through of The Game. Chris discusses the Reiner Knizia classic, Samurai as well – a recent reprint from Fantasy Flight Games
Feature: Essen Acquisition Disorder
This week we’re all about Essen. With the game fair going down in just a few days we’re excited about the 700+(!!) games releasing there and share nine games we’re hoping to get our hands on soon. Listen to Anthony, Chris, and Daniel discuss the games they are most eager to get to the table in the coming weeks from Essen in this week’s feature.
Final Round: Unfair Moments in Gaming
Finally, Drew asks the crew what our least favorite unfair moment in gaming is. Find out what we think is a real deal breaker and can turn a fun game into an unfair endeavor.
Listen to Episode 90
- ?Shout it From the Tabletop
- Acquisition Disorder: Power Grid:The Stock Companies, The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire, Argo
- At the Table: Codenames, The Game, Samurai reprint
- Feature: Essen Acquisition Disorder
- Final Round: Unfair Moments in Gaming
- Outro: Wir werden Sie am Tisch Platz zu sparen!