A year ago, Chris and Drew sat down to make predictions for 2015. Some of those predictions turned out nearly spot on (including some that were mocked by several members of the BGA team), and some did not. This year we’re doing it again, but not before we run through the predictions for last year and see what happened, what didn’t, and what was way off base. Then join Chris, Anthony, Drew, and Daniel to review 16 new predictions for the coming year.
Scoring our 2015 Predictions
Before we dive into our predictions for 2016, we sit down and discuss the predictions Chris and Drew made in 2015 and which actually came true. There were a few long shots that miraculously managed to happen, and a few others that fell pretty flat. Listen as Daniel and Anthony play judge and jury on all 15 of our predictions from last year to see what happened and what didn’t.
Top 16 Predictions for 2016
Once we have the scoring for last year out of the way, we sit down to discuss the 16 predictions for 2016. All four hosts have four new predictions for the new year, including:
- Board game apps will start launching in tandem with brand new board games, allowing gamers to get a taste before investing in cardboard.
- A new market will evolve in board gaming for campaign-focused consumable content, including the equivalent of “DLC” for existing games.
- An original board game IP will be picked up for major media including movies, TV, or comics.
- A major media outlet will launch a boardgaming channel or website.
- Online platforms for gaming will grow and become a part of the hobby in the mainstream.
- Increasing dependence on companion app integration will reach new corners of the hobby.
- A surge in dexgaming will be led by F2Z’s spinoff company, Pretzel Games.
- Significant IP litigation or settlement will take place.
- In the tech battle between Tabletop Simulator & Tabletopia, the winner will be: Chromecast!
- Game Mats will be a regular accessory for cardboard games, at least in Deluxe Boxes. Major company will sell a game sold in a Tube
- The “Top Ten” lists will die an ignominious death, alone and forgotten
- Asmodee will purchase AEG & invade the Big Box stores
- Games with integrated Apps continue to fail to meet expectations
- 10% increase for the big 3 Conventions (Drew Challenge: 9.9%-10.1% increase)
- Pandemic Legacy gets knocked out of BGG#1 (Bonus: Star Wars Rebellion or Scythe)
- Asmodee/USA announces sale/split!
Final Round: New Year Board Gamer Resolutions!
Finally, with the final round, we take a look at resolutions we’re planning to keep in 2016! From painting miniatures to spending more time with friends online, to opening a board game museum, we’re looking at what we can do to enhance our enjoyment of the hobby in the new year.
Listen to Episode 98